Our View from the Beauty Closet: Jane Scrivner's Nourishing Balm Cleanser

For someone who’s on a bit of an organic spree at the moment, the certified organic cleansing balm from Jane Scrivner with its wellbeing-based formula and philosophy was the perfect product to trial from our beauty closet.

Billed as a cleansing balm that, along with the usual expectations of being adept at melting away makeup and dissolving dirt also claims to provide a deep, “purging” cleanse, I was immediately intrigued.

Firstly I have to say the balm is like heaven in a pot – it smells amazing, the consensus is still out in the office, but we’re throwing out there ylang ylang, lavender and a hit of ginger. The actual ingredients are that of collagen promoting organic jojoba oil, beeswax and nine skin loving essential oils.  

Balm cleansers used to mean rather dodgy territory for me – I used the famed Eve Lom balm cleanser years ago and it didn’t fare well for my skin, scaring me off oily textures. However this balm really works well. What perhaps sets it apart from the army of cleansing balms in the market today is it’s certified 87% organic (the other 13% is all natural), multi-purpose (you can use it as an overnight rescue balm) and does not contain mineral oils, a cheap filler ingredient that so many other cleansing oils are based on.

The balm is rich and silky and melts into the skin, making it easy to really massage in and lift away makeup and dirt. You then soak the mitt that comes with the cleanser with warm water, wring and press against the face for a minute before gently wiping the skin. I like to then repeat the process. My skin was left clean and incredibly soft, without the greasy residue that one might expect from an organic balm. After a good period of use I can categorically say that I love it.  It has made a huge difference to the texture and balance of my skin.

And now for a quick ramble on a more mundane subject – the fluffy mitt that comes with the cleanser. It’s so important to cleanse the skin properly, and that means using some sort of good ol’ manual exfoliation to truly remove the makeup and grime that has built up on the skin. Splashing your skin with water won’t cut it. For me this ‘posh flannel’ works better than the now commonplace muslin cloth and clarisonic that can feel harsh on the skin, particularly around the sensitive eye area.

It’s quite sad I suppose that I’ll be looking forward to washing my face so much, but this organic balm truly lifts my spirits at the end of a long, tube-ridden day.

You can get it as a set with the skin elixir daily facial moisturizer at Professional Beauty North, on stand D25 and of course benefit from the amazing trade prices.

Register here for your free ticket to Professional beauty North, taking place on 13-14 october at Manchester Central.