Guest blog: How can spa therapists improve their pregnancy service?
Natalie Hart, spa operations manager at Titanic Spa in Yorkshire, reveals how you can make a visit to your spa a memorable experience for any mum-to-be.
Stress management and personal wellbeing during pregnancy is essential. So, a spa sanctuary break may be the perfect opportunity for mum and bump to rest up and enjoy themselves at the same time.
There are plenty of simple, straightforward ways you can ease and enhance the spa experience for expectant mothers. Here’s how you can make sure that you and your therapists are prepared for pregnant clients and can deliver the professional and personal service they need.
- Make sure your treatment menu is clear – It should always be clear on your treatment menu whether certain treatments are suitable for expectant mothers, as well as how far along they should be before they avoid a treatment. For instance, some aromatherapy oils can be harmful to pregnant women. It’s useful to add a little symbol next to the treatments that may be enjoyed by expectant mothers outside the “mum-to-be” treatment list.
- Open the lines of communication – When a pregnancy treatment has been booked in, it can be useful to touch base with the client on the phone before they visit. This will update you on how they’re feeling and any aches and pain they’re experiencing, as well as any changes in sensation. You may also be able to recommend another treatment for them or advise on certain spa facilities.
- Temperature control – Pay close attention to the temperature of the treatment room and make sure you’re communicating with the guest about it. Even the slightest adjustment can ensure they’re receiving the best possible treatment.
- Appropriate refreshments – While spa breaks and prosecco seem to go hand in hand, make sure you have pregnancy-appropriate refreshments to offer guests – perhaps your mum-to-be treatments could include a complimentary mocktail beforehand so they don’t miss out on that spa feeling.
- Make it personal – It can be a fantastic idea to go the extra mile for expectant mothers and add a personalised touch to their visit. If they’re spending the night, why not add a simple note to mum and bump in their room? A spa break can be a hugely memorable pregnancy experience and small additions like this will make your service really stand out.