Beauty therapists among UK’s top 10 lowest paid workers
Beauty therapists are in the UK’s top 10 worst paid jobs for full-time workers, earning an average salary of just £17,179 per year, according to new Government figures.
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings 2019 report revealed the occupations with the lowest median earnings for full-time employees, with beauty therapist jobs coming in seventh as the worst paid.
These findings aren’t too dissimilar to PB’s in-depth report on the average beauty industry wages for last year and the challenges that need to be overcome to tackle the recruitment crisis.
10 lowest paid jobs for full-time workers are:
- Bar staff – £16,055
- Waiters and waitresses – £16,286
- Kitchen and catering assistants – £16,604
- Leisure and theme park attendants – £16,766
- Launderers, dry cleaners and pressers – £17,090
- Educational support assistants – £17,170
- Beauty therapists – £17,179
- Nursery nurses and assistants – £17,392
- Pharmacy assistants – £17,594
- Hairdressers and barbers – £17,609
The ONS used data from pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) tax records on a random sample of 1% of workers to get an idea of how much different groups of employees are earning.
Chief executives of businesses came out as the highest earners in the UK, on £156,209 a year before tax in 2018/19, and air traffic controllers took the second spot with an average salary of £93,372.
Do you agree with the report? Comment below.