How to promote tanning treatments during the winter months
The winter months tend to bring a slump in the number of clients booking in-salon tanning treatments. Read on for tips from some of the industry’s top tanning brands to help you encourage clients in for winter glow.
- "To promote spray tans in the salon, I’d recommend creating a winter package with promotions and sharing key tips and tricks on your website on the art of winter tanning,” suggests Jayne Cooper, St Tropez tannng expert. “Skin will naturally be drier during this period, so when clients are tanning it’s essential to create the perfect base and use more hydrating products. Dry skin can mean flaky patches, so exfoliating is key to remove dead skin cells and create an even base for tan application.
- Nicola Badmus, lead trainer for Moroccan Tan at Sweet Squared says putting a new twist on tanning treatments could be the trick. “Often, just reminding clients not to forget to keep their skin glowing with a clever tweak to how you promote tanning can work wonders. Try offering a slightly lighter percentage solution that will look more natural in the winter months and package it along the lines of ‘Keep a warm winter glow',” she says. "It’s also good time of year to offer more luxurious treatments to your menu. A full body scrub followed by a manual tan application is a relaxing treatment with the added benefit of a great tan at the end."
- “Make sure you’re all sporting a tan in the salon – albeit a subtle, golden glow if that’s what you prefer. It’s a great talking point if clients can see a potential end result and then want to book in for themselves,” adds Badmus.
- “When it's cold outside it’s easy to stay indoors and forget about being tanned, so I would suggest encouraging clients to pay a deposit for bookings made in advance for tanning treatments. Clients can pay when they have their patch test and redeem the deposit against the treatment, suggests Gemma Spinks, training ambassador for Norvell.
- “Clever social media around winter works well to boost bookings. Try using catchy phrases like “All I want for Christmas is a tan" in promotional weekly updates throughout winter on social media and in the salon to get clients thinking about a tan,” she says.
- “January is the time when people look to kick start healthier habits and shake off the Christmas indulgences. Bring in new clients with a ‘New Year, new you’ spray tanning treatment designed to help clients feel more confident. You could also give a special offer when clients book a set number of tanning appointments in January,” says Holly Thomas, marketing executive at Sienna X.