Salon owners: tips for making your mental health a priority
The Covid-19 pandemic has affected us in many ways, but none more than our mental health. With so many changes in the industry and our personal lives, it’s been a rollercoaster of emotions. The pandemic has taken a heavy toll. According to research from charity Mind, more than half of adults (60%) and more than two thirds of young people (68%) said their mental health got worse during the lockdowns.
Protecting your mental health is paramount in order to run a successful, prosperous salon. According to the Mental Health Foundation, a staggering 70 million work days are lost each year due to mental health problems in the UK, costing businesses approximately £2.4 billion per year. Further research from Mind shows that around one in four people in the UK will experience a mental health problem each year.
The benefits of having good mental health can show through in your business via improved productivity and smooth running. Being healthy will mean fewer days of sick leave. A positive culture of workplace wellbeing will give you better engagement with your staff and, ultimately, allow you to have a good work-life balance. That’s why it’s never been so important to focus on your mental health.
Mental health issues can range from feeling mildly unhappy to problems such as anxiety and depression and more severe diagnoses such as bipolar disorder.
Look out for signs that you may be experiencing mental health problems. For example, you may be:
• Unable to concentrate and easily distracted
• Irritable and aggressive
• Less talkative and avoiding social activities
• Tired and/or tearful
• Unable to control your emotions
• More prone to drinking alcohol
• Physically ill – for example, with headaches or fatigue
• Overwhelmed and unable to perform to your usual standards at work.
Good mental health at work and good management go hand in hand and there is strong evidence that workplaces with high levels of mental wellbeing are more productive. Most people who experience mental health problems are able to continue working successfully.
Here are some tips on how you can protect your mental health:
• Make mental wellbeing in your business a top priority
• Take regular breaks – a change of pace benefits your mental health
• Seek help – ensure you visit various sources of help and support that different charities and organisations have available
• Eat well – a good healthy diet will benefit not only your body but also your mental health
• Drink less alcohol and more water
• Get active – doing plenty of exercise is not only good for your body but benefits your mental health too
• Connect with people – Talk to someone you trust. Sometimes, just acknowledging your feelings by saying them out loud can really help.
NHBF members have access to resources such as:
• Guide to absence management
• Employment support via the legal helpline
• Health assured app through NHBF rewards
• Updated blog posts on a variety of subjects, including dealing with stress.
The National Hair & Beauty Federation (NHBF) is the UK’s largest trade body for businesses working in the hair, beauty and barbering industries. As part of its work, it provides specialist business support, advice and back-up to nail and beauty salons. Join the NHBF before the end of October 2021 and quote PBO25 to get £25 off your membership fee.