The difference between vegan, cruelty-free and organic make-up
The beauty industry loves a buzzword and “vegan” is the one that’s popping up more and more in make-up products, but what is vegan make-up?
There is a lot of confusion around the term, and for good reason. It’s not as regulated as it should be, which is why it’s important to learn how to decode labels on products.
Inika Organic explain the benefits of using vegan make-upand how to choose the best possible products for your skin.
What makes make-up vegan?
Vegan make-up doesn’t contain any animal products, by-products or derivatives. This includes common ingredients found in beauty products such as:
While these ingredients are sourced from living animals and don’t necessarily harm them, they’re still animal-derived ingredients at the end of the day. One of the reason why so many commercial brands use animal products is because they’re cheaper and easier to source.
Sourcing and manufacturing vegan products is a much more complicated process, and it really represents a brand’s ethos. Read more about Inika Organic’s ingredient promise and view our Ingredient Glossary.
Is vegan make-up also cruelty-free?
When a product is labelled as vegan this describes its ingredients – not its manufacturing process. If a brand doesn’t test on animals, that means it’s cruelty-free.
At Inika Organic, we don’t use any ingredients sourced from animals or test our products on animals, so we’re both vegan and cruelty-free.
What’s the difference between vegan and vegetarian make-up?
Like vegan make-up, vegetarian cosmetics avoid all ingredients that were once part of an animal, but they might contain ingredients that were made by an animal, including beeswax, honey and albumen (think egg whites).
What are the benefits of using vegan make-up?
- Gentle on the skin – it contains natural ingredients that work with your skin, not against it, making it ideal for those with sensitive or irritating skin conditions, such as rosacea.
- Eco-friendly – vegan make-up is a much better choice for the environment, so you can rest easy knowing you’re doing your bit to support animal welfare.
- Usually gluten-free too – many vegan make-up products are also gluten-free, which is a huge perk for people who suffer from celiac disease and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- Makes you a more conscious consumer – vegan make-up and recyclable, biodegradable and non-toxic packaging tend to go hand-in-hand. By choosing a vegan brand, you’re not only striving to live a more sustainable lifestyle, but you’re also taking steps to become a more conscious consumer.
- Just as effective as its conventional counterparts – the cosmetics industry is incredibly innovative, and the best brands source ingredients that are just as high-performing.
For example, we use vegan make-up ingredients like shea butter to make our certified organic vegan lipstick, whereas traditional brands tend to use lanolin, an ingredient that’s derived from sheep wool, to get that creamy, moisturising texture.
Why are vegan certifications are so important?
Cosmetics companies can claim they’re vegan on the label, but these labels aren’t regulated and that’s where it can get tricky.
To make sure you’re buying an authentic product, look for brands that back up their claim with accreditations from respected organisations like The Vegan Society. If a brand has an accreditation, they’ll put the official vegan logo on the packaging.
At Inika Organic, we’re proud to carry these certifications on our product line:
- Vegan Society UK – a guarantee that our products don’t include any animal products, by-products or derivatives.
- Choose Cruelty-Free Australia – this accreditation confirms that our products have not – and will not – be tested, or contain ingredients sourced as a result of animal cruelty.
- Organic Cosmetic Italy– Inika Organic’s eye, brow and lip pencils meet strict manufacturing guidelines set by Italy’s main certifying organic cosmetic body.
- AFIC Halal Authority – The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils (AFIC) has validated our products as vegan and alcohol-free, and therefore certified halal.
Why is it essential to choose organic products too?
Vegan products don’t always have clean, green or all-natural ingredients lists. For instance, some vegan cosmetics companies add synthetic chemicals to their products.
It’s similar to vegan food. While it has healthy connotations, a lot of vegan food is highly processed and very difficult for the body to break down.
For healthy skin, Inika Organic make-up is both vegan and organic. By doing this, you’ll know that you’re only applying safe, toxin-free and plant-based products to your skin.
Using the highest certified ingredients and the strictest processes, Inika Organic products are certified organic, vegan, cruelty-free, halal and 100% non-toxic.