IN THE KNOW: PEVONIA
How can I use promotions in a way that doesn’t cheapen or devalue my spa as a brand?
Building a business on non-profitable promotions is a senseless exercise. However, clients love an offer, so do reward loyal customers. There are a number of ways in which you can use promotions without devaluing your spa:
- Be strategic when using voucher websites, as some ask for huge discounts and big commissions. Negotiate carefully and only work with the more reputable ones. Use them as a last resort and only during quiet periods.
- Offer loyalty cards with a points scheme. Points are a great way to reward those who invest in your business and to build long-term relationships.
- Work with local businesses on cross promotions, with reciprocal offers.
- Offer treatment upgrades and run gift-with-purchase offers. Base them on popularity, seasonality and demand. Promote these through in-spa displays and posters as well as in e-blasts and via website and social media posts.
- Run competitions on social media. For example, team up with a local hotel to offer an overnight stay with a spa package. With both you and your chosen partner promoting the competition on social media, you’ll double your customer reach.
- Have a treatment and product of the month. Give this a seasonal focus and incentivise by offering variety.
- Maximise on seasonal events such as Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Easter and Christmas. Give your incentives names and market them, creating mother and daughter packages, offers on couples’ massages and so on
- Run events. This gives you the opportunity to reward your customers while educating them on your services or new treatments.
Daniela Chandler is UK director of skincare brand Pevonia, where her responsibilities include training, treatment development, sales and marketing. She is also founder and spa director of SK Clinic + Spa in Suffolk