Industry leaders launch wellness hospitality brand

Leading figures in the wellness sector have joined forces to set up a wellbeing-focused hospitality and real estate company. 

The new company, Civana, was created to bring together a wide range of sustainable wellness resorts and communities under one umbrella.

In a statement, Civana described the company concept as bringing together “wellness programming, sustainable design, and hotel asset/property management to promote sustainable wellness for healthier living and travel”.

The Civana executive team is headed by Kevin Kelly, former president and chief branding officer of Canyon Ranch, as chairman and chief executive. Kelly was previously also co-owner of the Two Bunch Palms spa resort in California, which he converted into the first carbon-neutral resort in North America.

The other members of the Civana management team are Larry Lamy, former vice president of finance and development at Miraval and Canyon Ranch, and spa, wellness and brand expert Rianna Riego.

Riego, who assisted in the redevelopment of Two Bunches, has also opened and operated a number of resorts for the Marriott Hotels group and KSL Resorts. Civana aims to offer an affordable approach to healthy travel and living, combining social connection with a wellness-focused environment with sustainability at the core.

Kelly said: "The established wellness immersion resorts target the top 10% of affluent travellers, leaving 90% of this market underserved. Designed for today's sophisticated traveller of all ages, Civana will bring a more attainable wellness experience to a larger target market.”

Civana, described by its founders as “the next generation of leisure wellness experience” will incorporate the 189-room Carefree Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona, among other properties.