Everything you need to know about the Nail Competition at PB London
Entries are open for the Nail Competitions at Professional Beauty London and here's everything you need to know about the process. Register for the PB London Nail competition now
The competition will run across both days of the show – Professional Beauty London takes place on October 17–18 – and there will be three levels that nail techs can enter in each category: Students, Nail Professionals and Educators.
Professional Beauty Group is collaborating with The Federation of Nail Professionals (aka “The Feds”) on the prestigious Nail Competitions at both shows. The Feds is an industry body, set up by leading session tech Marian Newman, that supports the nail profession and champions high standards in the industry, which is what makes them the perfect partner for our Nail Competitions (which are taking place later this year).
Our Nail Competition categories have been shaken up, to highlight the ever-evolving nail industry, with categories that focus on creating looks for social media and replicating nail art based on demos performed at the shows.
The Feds will also be partnering with PB on a Nails Stage on the Monday (October 18) of the Professional Beauty London show, with leading techs performing demos and talking through troubleshooting issues.
Newman commented on the Nail Competition: “This year we’re partnering with Professional Beauty, which we’re very excited about. So many things have changed – mindsets have changed, how things are being done have changed, approaches have changed – and we want to do the same thing with the Nail Competitions.
“We want to take a lot of the stress out of competition. We’re streamlining the rules and streamlining the judging because we want to encourage people who are maybe a little bit wary about entering competitions, and we want to say, ‘this isn’t going to be as stressful as you think’. We want to make it more informal and more fun.”
There are 12 categories* in our Nail Competition at PB London:
- The Perfect Manicure – focuses on perfect and safe preparation of the cuticle and surrounding skin, with immaculate painting using lacquer
- Commercial Nail Art – you will need to demonstrate good use of products, creativity and the ability to provide a nail art service in a commercial timing. No UV gel-polish
- UV Gel-Polish – to demonstrate accurate and safe application of UV gel-polish
- Learn a Skill – for the times when a client arrives with a design they’ve seen online, which they want you to reproduce, this category will require you to watch a nail art demo on the Main Stage at the show that requires a variety of products and techniques, and then you will need to replicate it on one hand, while showing your twist on the design on the other hand
- Salon Enhancements – to showcase structurally perfect commercial enhancements with an accuracy in the length of the free-edge
- Full Cover Tips – you will need to demonstrate your accuracy, speed and painting skills using this technique, with scoring focused on the perfect fit and no product seepage
- UV Gel Enhancements – showcase accurate structing and manipulation of the UV Gel. You will need to show perfect sculpting using a popular technique – reverse French – and elongate the nail bed using an opaque cover pink/beige
- L&P Enhancements – to demonstrate a perfect structure and clear (no bubbles) perfect pink and whites
- Bridal Challenge – show off your ability and creativity to suggest “bridal nails”, assuming a traditional bridal dress and colourful flowers
- Educator Skills Challenge – this category is open to educators only. It is a chance to demonstrate what you are able to teach your students, and your finished nails will be featured in Professional Beauty magazine
- Instagram Photographic – demonstrate your skills at creating a fabulous image suitable for an Instagram post. This category is “off the floor”, so you’ll need to provide an A4 sized photograph, freestyle and provide appropriate hashtags you would use on the post (a maximum of 10)
- Media-themed Statement “Press Ons” in a box – this is your chance to demonstrate your creative ability to follow a brief. The judges are looking for pre-made tips that follow the brief, theme and make a statement. You will need to present 10 appropriately sized nails in a box no larger than 22cm x 14cm x 3 cm, with a clear lid.
Will you be taking part in Professional Beauty’s Nail Competition this year? Tell us your thoughts below and if you have any questions about the categories, let us know.
*The categories could be subject to change