Create the look – Makeup for all ages
In our June issue of Professional Beauty magazine, we show you how to get your make-up offering right for any age group. Here, we’ve called some of the country’s leading make-up artists to show you how to create an age-appropriate look for a client’s special occasion.
Teen queen by Daniel Sandler
“This is a make-up look I did on a friend’s 13 year-old daughter, which blends a grown-up smoky eye with a bright pink lip, defined brows and a natural flush of colour on cheeks. It's sophisticated but incredibly wearable. I suggest salons create a prom package with hair, make-up, nails and perhaps a spray tan to complete this glamorous makeover.”
1. Create an even complexion using a medium coverage foundation such as Daniel Sandler Invisible Radiance Foundation and concealer then set with powder.
2. Apply Long Lasting Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in Black Velvet around the upper and lower lash line then smudge with a small brush. Repeat application, but skip the smudging.
3. Apply black liquid liner along the lash line to create a feline flick then stick on false lashes and apply two coats of black mascara. Brush up the brows and fill in to define.
4. Pop on some blush, such as Watercolour Liquid Blusher in Acid then apply a complementary bright matte lipstick such as Luxury Matte lipstick in Gigi to complete the look.
All products used are from the Daniel Sandler range.
Flirty at thirty by Armand Beasley
“The 30s are a really interesting time; with the arrival of children and working hard, the 30s tend to be the decade of multitasking. It's important to go for a look that makes the client feel sexy yet professional and polished. I created this look on actress Sinead Moynihan.”
1. Start with a primer to absorb any excess sebum. Next choose an appropriate foundation for your client’s skin type. A good one for a normal/ combination skin is Illamasqua Skin Base. Use a foundation brush, starting from the nose and blending outwards.
2. Concealer is probably the most important product for women in their 30s. Clinique’s Airbrush concealer around the eye will even out the skin tone whilst YSL's Touch éclat will bring brightness.
3. Urban Decay’s Naked Palettes 1 to 3 are really versatile eye shadows, but the liner creates the wow factor here. I used liquid liner to create the feline flick with black pencil along the waterline."
4. I emphasised Sinead's brows using HD Brow palette in Bombshell and used lightweight Nouveau lashes and black mascara to create volume.
5. Estée Lauder Automatic Lip Pencil in Fig creates a great nude base with Kiko Extra Volume lip gloss in Rosy Beige for a soft and subtle lip.
6. I used Sisley Pinky Rose blush duo on the apples of the cheeks with Bobbi Brown bronzer to emphasise the cheekbones. NARS multiple in Copacabana is great for subtle contouring on the cheeks.
Mature magic by Alyn Waterman
“When applying make-up to older skins, you should always do it in natural light using a magnifying hand mirror. The aim is to add moisture and radiance to the skin without emphasising fine lines. Colour is key and using the right textures can affect your finished results. The make-up I have applied to my mum is suitable for a wedding or evening function.”
1. Art Deco Make up Base with Anti Ageing Effect is a perfect primer for ensuring your base stays put all day. I used Joan Collins Timeless Beauty Fade to Perfect Concealer to highlight under the brow bone, around the eyes and lips, and down the sides of the nose.
2. Next, use Dermalogica Sheer Tint SPF 20 in Medium to reduce the appearance of fine lines plus a dusting of Mac Blot Power in Medium to set. Use Mii Bronzer in Jewel 2 to gently contour the cheeks and shade around the jawline.
3. Eyebrows often lose shape and definition so enhance them with Jane Iredale Bitty Brow kits. I used Joan Collins Timeless Beauty Eyeshadow Palette in Moody Browns & Gold, to give the eyes as much lift as possible. Highlight the inner lid and under the brow bone, and softly contour the sockets by blending the colour upwards.
4. Next apply some semi-permanent lashes, such as Let’s Go Lashes from Nouveau, and black mascara for glamour.
5. Mii Blusher in Tickle 03 on the centre of the cheeks helps to add a healthy glow and I also brushed this lightly over the eyes to balance the look. Lip liner is important; use all over for staying power. Finish with Bourjois Color Boost Peach on the Beach.